1940s West Bend Stainless Steel Penguin Ice Bucket / Hot Server with Wooden Handles and Finial
1940s West Bend Penguin Hot and Cold Server made in West Bend, WI. Wooden knob and handles. Embossed penguin figures around base/perimeter. For more details please scroll down to the end of this description. This listing is for the Penguin Server with wooden handles. Please see last photo to see the difference between wooden handles and Bakelite handles.
Please see https://wi101.wisc.edu/penguin-server/ for original industrial design specs and a public radio story. The following was taken from the website:
"Produced in West Bend, Wisconsin, in the 1940s, the Penguin Hot and Cold Server is an iconic object of postwar American culture. Designed to insulate both hot and cold foods, and to keep ice cubes chilled, the Penguin highlights the resurgence in home entertainment after the war, including popular leisure activities like outdoor grilling and cocktail parties.
It also offers a prime example of industrial design, changing technologies, the shifting role of women in the workforce, and the rise of a postwar consumer-driven society.
Lastly, the Penguin is a reminder of Wisconsin’s former position as the center of the aluminum cookware industry.
In 1941, inventor Ralph N. Kircher drew up the plans for the West Bend Penguin Hot and Cold Server. Taking the form of a sphere with a flattened base, the vessel’s central decorative band depicts a colony of penguins, one waddling behind the other. The shiny and reflective surface of the server (available in chrome or copper-plated steel) creates a contrast between the cover’s knob and the vessel’s handles, the latter mimicking the curvature of a penguin’s flippers."
Brand: West Bend
Unknown: Ralph Kircher
Color/Pattern: Silver, Brown, Animals
Styles: Mid-Century Modern, Industrial, Hollywood Regency
Place of Origin: United States
Materials: Stainless Steel, Wood
Condition: Excellent Vintage Condition, Original Unaltered
Damage or Points of Notice: Excellent vintage condition with minimal wear appropriate with age and little to no use.
Dimensions: 10"W x 8"D x 8"H; 6"W opening
- Free shipping may be offered on select items or orders and is reflected in the shopping cart
- Shipments of small items are arranged through recognized carriers such as UPS, FedEx, DHL and USPS
- Only pieces that can be safely packed in a box are eligible
- Shipping charges are dependent on size, weight, value and packaging
- Within the Contiguous US (lower 48 states plus Washington DC), items are typically delivered within 5-10 days of the purchase date
- We do not ship to freight forwarders. If you need an item shipped internationally please contact us for more information.
Freight / Curbside Delivery
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for a shipping quote prior to purchase
- Large items (furniture, large lighting and art) are shipped via third party shipping service providers
- Items are delivered curbside, typically within 2-6 weeks (Contiguous US)
- For extended US and international delivery, please contact email@example.com for more information and a shipping quote prior to purchase
- Prior to shipping, local pickup or delivery, buyers may cancel an order for any reason
- Please notify us as soon as possible if you would like to cancel an order, as prompt cancellation will reduce the likelihood that you will incur return shipping charges and restocking fees
- Once shipping or pickup has been initiated, the cancellation will be considered a return
- All sales are final 48 hours after receiving your purchase (Except Local Pickup and Freight/Curbside Delivery — see below)
- If a return is requested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the order number, reason for return, and related photos
- For approved returns, you are responsible for the full cost of return packing & shipping plus applicable taxes
- Each returned item must be received in original condition
- Local Pickup & Freight/Curbside Delivery
- All sales are final once you or your agent takes possession of the item(s)
- If you decide to cancel the order at pickup, you or your agent must reject the item at the time of pickup; you must not take the item with you
- If you decide to cancel an order at the time of curbside delivery, it will be considered a return; you will be responsible for the full cost of initial and return packing and shipping
- Please contact email@example.com to let us know you did not accept the item and would like to initiate a return